Friday, February 11, 2011
If you came looking for unbiased opinions and third party objectivity you came to the wrong place. Chipper Jones is gracing the baseball world with his presence for another season with the Atlanta Braves! If you were unaware Chipper is amazing. I have many reasons as to why I think that; some have to do with baseball, some (most) are solely based on a man crush since I was a little guy.
Through the Fence Baseball wrote this gem on my boy "Chipper Jones: Better than Cal Ripken Jr and Derek Jeter?" Home-dog is right on this one and I even like Cal, and respect Jeter. This is a pretty good article, but what really won me over was the excellent use of a spreadsheet. If you read this article good for you, if not I'll sum it up: Chipper is awesome and should get into the Hall of Fame on the first year eligible.
Chipper is clearly coming back because of the sweet farewell tour Bobby Cox had last year, Chipper wants his own this year. Why not? He has earned it. In addition to the stats and crazy things like that he also (if you were waiting for bullet points you are in luck here they come, a Mr. Anonymous staple):
• Has a great walk-up song that in Atlanta personifies greatness is entering the box.
• He has a song written about him.
• He was an influence in me choosing the number 10 when I played baseball.
• He is the second best switch hitter of ALL TIME only to Mickey Mantle.
• Chipper undoubtedly loves the USA
• He was in a TV commercial with Dave Thomas and one with Ludacris.
Thank you Chipper for one more season, as the "Voice of the People," we all thank you.